Thursday 16 May 2013

Heaven on earth - The Heaphy Track

Walking the Heaphy track was an incredible experience, i recommend anyone travelling to New Zealand to get to this stunning part of the world. With an array of incredible vegetation from the mystical Gouland Downss to the Nikau palms fringing the ferocious west coast.

The 78.4 km walk can be done in 4-6 days (although i did meet two people who completed it in 2!)

Day 1: I started out at the Brown hut end, 4 hours up i reached the Aorere shelter and left my mark (see photographs). Half an hour before reaching Perry Saddle hut there is a look out point, at 915m Flanagans Corner is the highest point on the track. The views were simply beautiful. As the sunlight filtered through the forest it was like a dream world.
I reached Perry Saddle hut, i was the only person staying in this hut which can sleep upto 26 people. I had come prepared with back country cuisine meals recommended by a friend. I slept very well.

Day 2: I walked from the Perry Saddle to James Mackay hut this took about 6 hours 30 minutes. This part of the track led me to the famous boot tree where previous trampers have hung various types of shoes! I stopped for a break at Saxon hut before continuing on. Luckily i reached James Mackay hut before dark and met a very inspirational guy who talked to me about his experiences in Nepal. Wayne was the first tramper i had seen.

Day 3: On day 3 there seemed to be more cyclists on this section. It was a 6 hour walk to the Heaphy hut where i would be spending my final night. The forest was incredible, mainly beech forest, which becomes taller and taller. Every so often you're treated to a glimpse of the Heaphy river. I reached Lewis hut and decided to have some lunch, unfortunately i also started getting attacked by sandflies, luckily Wayne had given me his spray! Over lunch i chatted to a guy called Jerry, he was at least 60, an ex marathon runner, who had completed the track over 300 times! such and inspiration and full of enthusiasm for the great outdoors.
I continued onto Heaphy hut through forest of Kahikatea, rimu and rata, beautiful nikau palms border the Heaphy river.
I arrived at the Heaphy hut as the sun was setting and people were enjoying the glowing surroundings, it was simply stunning.

Day 4: From the Heaphy river mouth i made my way Along the west coast. The waves were the biggest iv ever seen and seemed to give me an energy to continue on and complete the rest of the track, it was breathtaking. All along the track there are beautiful Nikau palms and vines, every so often a fantail bird would dance along the path in front of me catching flies as i disturbed the ground.
I was offered a lift to Karamea by a couple who i had watched an incredible starry Sky at Heaphy. I took them up on their offer and we completd the final part of the track together.

When we got to the car park, i collapsed and lay on the grass with an overwhelming sense of achievement in my mind.

I piled into Chris and Miskas camper van and they dropped me off at Rongo's youth hostel in Karamea.

I tried to take pictures of my journey, hopefully they give you an idea of my time on the Heaphy, but the pictures dont really do it justice, the smells, the textures and the sounds made the whole experience one i will never forget and will always go back to in my mind when im feeling stressed. Along the way i also noticed other pieces of man made creativity, the faces in the tree trunks, messages carved onto the moss, the boot tree and stacks of stones.

Here goes... To see more pictures click on the title of my blog (my tablet wouldn't let me put them into one post)










No comments:

Post a Comment